Cherry Cookies with Vanilla Frosting Dip
For the cookies:
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 cups flour
For the frosting dip:
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBSP milk
- about 1 cup powdered sugar
- Remove cherries from jar, reserving the juice, and roughly chop them.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, cherries and cherry juice, mix well.
- Add salt, soda and baking powder, mix well.
- Add flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 3-4 hours.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into desired shapes (hearts, etc.)
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees F for 7 - 10 minutes (7 for smaller shapes, 10 for larger)
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool before serving.
- For frosting: melt butter and combine all ingredients, mixing until smooth. Adjust consistency to preference by adding more milk (to thin) or more powdered sugar (to thicken).
Recipe & Photo adapted from jensfavoritecookies.com