Peanut Butter Sweetheart Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24 chocolate heart candies such as: Marie's Peanut Butter or Caramel Sweethearts, Marie's Milk Chocolate Foil Hearts or Marie's Dark Chocolate Foil Hearts
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter for one minute on high speed until creamy. Switch to medium-high speed and beat in the born sugar and granulated sugar until completely creamed and smooth. Add the egg and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the peanut butter and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until combined. The dough will be very creamy and soft. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least an hour, and up to three days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Scoop and roll cookie dough, about 1 heaping tablespoon.(optional: roll each ball in 1/4 cup granulate sugar for an added touch). Arrange cookie dough balls on the baking sheet about three inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the tops begin to slightly crack. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool.
- Press a chocolate heart candy into the center of each cookie.
Recipe & Photo adapted from sallysbakingaddiction.com