Peanut Butter Spider Cookies
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz. Milk Chocolate Rosebuds or dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- approximately 24 Milk Chocolate Malt Balls, Dark Chocolate Malt Balls, Espresso Malt Balls and/or Pumpkin Spice Malt Balls
- approximately 48 candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place sugar and brown sugar in bowl and lightly mix
- Add vegetable shortening and peanut butter, beat on medium until mixture is smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, beat until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the bowl, beat until well incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Roll out small balls of dough and place on baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart.
- Use your fingers to gently flatten the dough.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and make soft indents in the middle of each cookie with the end of a wooden spoon or similar instrument - indents should be large enough to hold the malt balls later.
- Return the tray to the oven and bake the cookies for another 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Decorating the Cookies:
- Melt the Milk Chocolate Rosebuds in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time, and place into a small piping bag.
- Dot a small amount into the cavity of each cookie.
- Place a malt ball into the cavity of each cookie.
- Squeeze two tiny dots of melted chocolate onto each malt ball and attach the candy eyes and pipe eight legs onto each cookie.
- Repeat for all the cookies
- Allow the chocolate to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe & Photo adapted from eatlittlebird.com